NOTE: Old versions of Outlook 2003 have a bug that prevent you from properly sending secure email. We strongly encourage you to use the free email program Thunderbird instead of Microsoft Outlook because we believe in supporting community-based free software projects rather than corporate based software projects like Outlook. However, if you have to use Outlook, you will need to download the most recent Outlook updates that fix the bug before you will be able to properly configure Outlook to send email securely. You can update Outlook here -
please click the Check for Updates link.
These screenshots were taken with Outlook 2007. Outlook 2010 coming soon!
- Click on Tools menu -> Email Accounts (screenshot 1).
- Press the “New” button (screenshot 2).
- Select “Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP” and click “Next” (screenshot 3).
- Check “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” and press “Next” (screenshot 4).
- Select “Internet E-mail” and press Next (screenshot 5).
Then you need to decide whether you want a POP account or an IMAP account. In most cases, we recommend POP, but if you plan to use webmail frequently or will use multiple accounts to check your email, you may want to use IMAP.
- Fill out the screen that appears in screenshot 6 with your own name, e-mail address, username and password. However, your incoming and outgoing mail servers should both be set to “mail.mayfirst.org”. Make sure to press “More settings”.
- Select the “Outgoing Server” tab, and click “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” (screenshot 7).
- Fill in the “Advanced” tab exactly as you see it in screenshot 8 (for POP3 users) or screenshot 9 (for IMAP users).
- Click “OK”, then “Next”, then “Finish”, then “Close”.
NOTE for Outlook 2003 users: Outgoing mail should be set to SSL rather than TLS. Also change the port for the outgoing server to 587. Click OK and click Next and click Finish.
Screenshot 1. Outlook 2007
Screenshot 2. Outlook 2007
Screenshot 3: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 4: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 5: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 6: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 7: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 8: Outlook 2007
Screenshot 9: Outlook 2007