MayFirst/People Link is a politically progressive member-run and controlled organization that redefines the concept of “Internet Service Provider” in a collective and collaborative way.
Critical Path began partnering with MayFirst in 2010 to host our servers and allow Critical Path to take advantage of their already well-established system for hosting free web-based email, electronic lists, and websites.
By having your website hosted through Critical Path, you become a member of the MayFirst/People Link collective. This provides you with:
- Access to the full use of MayFirst/People Link’s shared, state-of-the-art hosting infrastructure.
- Access to MayFirst/People Link’s public ticket tracking system and wiki. This provides a way for members to ask questions and get advice on how to most effectively use the Internet.
- The ability to connect with political organizing and technology leadership of the organization. As active supporters of global movements, such as the social forum and climate justice work, May First/People Link contributes our political thinking and technology skills to these important areas.
- A way to contribute to the development of new technologies that are consistent with MayFirst/People Link’s political vision of a free and open Internet, including support for free and open source software and open network and data standards. For more information, please see our Projects page.
You can read MayFirst/People Link’s Statement of Unity here: https://mayfirst.org/unity
You can check out other MayFirst/People Link Member’s here: https://mayfirst.org/member-profiles
How Critical Path and MayFirst/People Link Work Together
- You go to the Critpath website, www.critpath.org to sign up for an email, an electronic list or a website.
- We create a user account for you through MayFirst/People Link’s system.
- If you are simply interested in having a Critical Path email or list, there is nothing else that you need to do. You will receive an email with instructions on how to access these services.
- If you are hosting a website on Critical Path, then once we create your user account, you become a member of MayFirst/People Link and can use the ticketing system and alter your settings through their website, www.mayfirst.org
- For website’s hosted on MayFirst/People Link, you have a full range of options to create your own email accounts and electronic distribution lists, with the domain name of your website, as well as manage your website directly.
- If you have a problem, call the Critpath Help Desk first at 215-985-4448 x145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We probably know the answer and can serve as your 1st level support. If we don’t know the answer, we’ll create a ticket for you on MayFirst/People Link’s system and ask for 2nd level support.